I am tired of the news!
Everywhere I look I see nothing but negativity being spewed out. It pops up on our smartphones, it comes across the air waves, it is on the front page of your newspaper (if you still read those) and it continues to be talked about when you get together with your friends or families.
The early church was under constant persecution. You want to talk about negative! They faced it every single day and night, 24/7/365! Not only were they being persecuted but they were expected to proclaim Caesar as their god. The early Christians knew that there is only one God and in all good conscience they refused to call Caesar “Lord,” so the Romans looked upon them as traitors, persecuted them, and had them put them to death.
During all if this negativity and persecution, the early church had a saying they went about telling each other. It was a one word statement; Maranatha! It simply meant Jesus is coming! Even though it was negative all around them, they chose to focus on the hope of a better tomorrow.
What would happen in our homes, our families, our churches or on our jobs if we went about speaking positive, proclaiming a better tomorrow instead of griping about all the negative going on in our world. Don’t get me wrong, I am not saying to check out on reality but maybe we can change our focus and instead of always starting the day out looking at all the negativity around us, let’s focus on the good things God has done.
Having been born with something many would consider to be a negative, I have learned to accept it as a gift! A gift that allows me to look at life a bit different and see the positive opportunities that are in front of me. Think about it – if I had been born with two hands I would never be able to beat my friends in golf single-handedly and tell people all about it, plus I wouldn’t have any jokes:
- I can’t learn sign language, you would only get half the message
- Good thing I didn’t try out for the Olympic swim team since all I do is swim in circles!
- Man it costs an arm and a leg to live in SoCal and I am already halfway invested!! (LOL, this one even makes me laugh)
So, how do we escape all the negative around us and focus on the positive? Well you can’t change what is being pumped out but you can change how your respond, how you view it and what comes out of your mouth. It is all about perspective and focus.
Here are just a few things I would encourage you to do if you are having a hard time seeing anything positive in your life or situation:
- Change your mindset – remember that God is Great and He is still in control, no matter how bad it may appear! We are constantly reminded in the Word of God to renew our minds. It is where transformation takes place (Rom 12:2)
- Remember: It may never be as good as you want it to be but it’s never as bad as you think it is! I think that says it all.
- This too shall pass! It will not last forever and with God you have the Creator who promised He would never leave you nor forsake you! BELIEVE IT and walk in that promise today!
- There is power in your words! Speak the positive you find in every situation. It is there, you just may have to dig for it a bit. Instead of complaining start encouraging. Spread the good news every where you go and watch how others will respond. You may be surprised how things will change!
I hope when you look out the window today you see the positive of all God has in store for your life! Go live it out, speak it and watch what happens when you focus on the positive in your world!